Hotels in the Middle East reported negative April 2018 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted growth across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, April 2018 vs. April 2017
• Occupancy: -4.4% to 72.0%
• Average daily rate (ADR): -8.1% to US$160.37
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -12.1% to US$115.45
• Occupancy: +6.3% to 61.8%
• Average daily rate (ADR): +4.0% to US$119.79
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +10.5% to US$73.99
Local currency, April 2018 vs. April 2017
• Occupancy: -9.5% to 74.6%
• ADR: +12.8% to MUR8,471.64
• RevPAR: +2.1% to MUR6,318.73
STR analysts note that the absolute ADR and RevPAR levels were the highest for any April on record in Mauritius. The year-over-year ADR growth was the sole driver of RevPAR, as a decline in demand (-8.6%) lowered occupancy.
• Occupancy: -12.2% to 66.4%
• ADR: -17.9% to SAR387.12
• RevPAR: -27.9% to SAR257.23
STR analysts note that the absolute occupancy level was the lowest for an April since 2010, while absolute ADR was the lowest for the month since 2007. Significant supply growth (+6.2%) has been the main driver of negative performance in the market. Until a 6.7% demand decrease in April, the market had reported four consecutive months of demand growth.
• Occupancy: +7.7% to 53.8%
• ADR: +17.2% to TND170.73
• RevPAR: +26.2% to TND91.91
A 1.3% increase in supply is the highest for any month in Tunisia since November 2007. At the same time, the absolute ADR and RevPAR levels were the highest for any April on record in the country. The occupancy level was the highest for an April since 2009. STR analysts credit the boost in performance to increased tourism in the market.
STR provides clients from multiple market sectors with premium, global data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 10 countries around the world with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and an international headquarters in London, England. For more information, please visit str.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.