Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) reported today that the average U.S. roundtrip ticket price* for August 2017 was $456, down from $473 in July. Average ticket prices are down 2.1 percent compared to August 2016.
The consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold by U.S.-based travel agencies increased nearly 3.6 percent in August as compared to August 2016, totaling $7.4 billion vs. $7.1 billion. The number of passenger trips* settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies increased 4.3 percent to 23,076,905 compared to 22,130,120 in August 2016.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales comprised nearly $6.1 million, a 13 percent increase over 2016. EMD transactions increased seven percent to 102,462 in August 2017 vs. nearly 95,434 in 2016.
More detailed information is available at https://www.arccorp.com/data.jsp.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending August 31, 2017, from 12,243 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a roundtrip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.